Thursday, August 5, 2010

Next On The List: Preteen Edition

Continuing the tour through all the books next on my list of books to read! Here they are in no particular order!


Mister Monday - Garth Nix
This is the first book in The Keys to the Kingdom series. A set of grandparents said that these were great and that their grand-kids loved them. I can never give their synopsis justice but they sounded fantastically interesting!







Dark Life - Kat Falls
This is one whose cover caught me eye as soon as it came into the store. It was unlike any other book I had seen and after hearing a bit about the book(there are people that live above the water, but the majority of the book takes place in an underwater world), I can't help but be curious to crack this one open!






Frindle - Andrew Clements
Clements has written many preteen books but I've heard great things about this one in particular. According to the Frindle wikipedia page,'Clements describes the idea(for the book) as having come to him in the form of the thought, "What would happen if a kid started using a new word, and other kids really liked it, but his teacher didn't?" ' Nick decides to call a pen a frindle. It catches on and while his schoolmates spread it like wild fire, his teachers are determined to stop the spread of 'frindle'. It sounds like the type of fun book preteens would gobble up!



The Capture - Kathryn Lasky
This is the first in a series called 'Guardians of Ga'Hoole'. I've been curious about this series for a while because it has a number of books(15) in the series but there's only a customer here and there asking for them. When that happens it always makes me wonder if it's a terrible series or if it's actually an unknown treasure. When I found out that a movie was coming out based on the series, it made me want to read them all the more. When a book-based movie is coming out, I always tell customers to read the book first. That's so much easier to do when I've taken that advice and read it myself.


Holes - Louis Sachar
This is another book, like 'The Hunger Games', that it seems everyone has read. It is on the Indigo Recommends list for this age range, but at this point it's on my list not because I have a burning desire to read it, it's on the list just so I can say it's done.







Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
This is one of the rare, multi-generational series we have in the kids section. By that I mean, parents and grandparents can come in and say "I read these when I was little and I would love my kids to read them too!" Personally, I know I've read a couple of them but it was so long ago that I've forgotten them completely. I'd love to make my way through them all.



The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan
I'm half way through Riordan's first series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and though I've enjoyed it, I feel like I'm playing catch up with everyone who's already read them all. I'd love to get in on the ground floor of his new series.







The Dragonfly Pool - Eva Ibbotson
This is a book that my Grade 5/6 practicum class was just beginning to read when I left. I remember being intrigued and disappointed that I couldn't stay and keep reading it with them. I've had co-workers tell me great things about other Ibbotson titles and I think this one would be no exception. The fact that Ibbotson isn't overly popular is another draw. Authors like her are great for suggesting to kids who have 'read it all'.




Among The Hidden - Margaret Peterson Haddix
This, again, is the first in a series called Shadow Children. Set in a world where there are population laws restricting families to a maximum of 2 childrenm Luke is the third child in a family and therefore has lived his entire life in hiding. I think I've read one of these books before, perhaps when I was younger but it's completely escaped my memory now. This is another lesser known series I would love to suggest to customers.





Fablehaven - Brandon Mull
I would never have picked these(yes, it's a series again) books off the shelf if it weren't for a co-worker. She raves about them! A brother and sister become caretakers of a place called Fablehaven that is a sanctuary for mystical creatures.







The Last Invisible Boy - Evan Kuhlman
I initially picked this book up because of the look of it. Then I read the back and discovered it's premise. This is what the publisher has to say about Kuhlman's book:

'The Last Invisible Boy is an unusual and unique tale of love and loss as a boy who slowly begins to disappear after his father's death.'

I read the first dozen or so pages on one of my breaks and although I wanted to keep reading, I wasn't in the right frame of mind to read this sad tale. From what I read, it seemed like it would be a touching book. I can't think of a scenario that I would suggest this book though. I'm not sure I've ever had a customer looking for a sad book for their 10 year old. Even with that, I feel like it would be a good book to read on the off chance a customer comes in looking for a book for their invisible boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment